View Single Post
Old 07-17-2016, 05:04 PM   #33
wolferj-RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
The last thing on my checklist before I attempted to start the car was installing a SPAL fan. I chose the 16" medium profile puller fan. It fit nicely on the radiator with plenty of room to clear the water pump.

Here's a shot of my mount idea. I wanted to keep it easy to remove in case I needed to work on something at the track.

The primary support is the lower 1/8" aluminum. This strip easily supports the weight of the fan and fits in the tabs for the stock fan shroud. Then the brackets on top hook over the radiator but are there as more of a backup in case something happens and the lower mount were to fail. Two screws into the upper radiator lip keeps it in contact with the radiator core.

To wire it, I cut the connector off the stock aux fan (my fan was all busted up so I didn't feel too bad) with a few inches of the stock 3-wires. The SPAL fan only has one speed so I twisted the high and low speed wires together on the factory connector and crimped them to the power wire on the SPAL wiring. Then just connected the ground wires together. This way the fan can be unplugged and easily removed.

One of the discrepancies in the engine harnesses makes it so that the normal aux fan speed will not work with the M52 engine harness. This is because on the M52 cars the double temp switch goes to the relays and then to the DME. On the M44 cars the double temp switch goes to the DME before heading to the normal speed relay. Without updating the chassis-side wiring the normal fan speed will not come on automatically in a M/S52 swap.

However, on both M44 and M52 configurations the double temp switch goes directly to the high speed relay. Stock M52 double temp switch is 91/99C and the M44 switch is 81/88C. So by using the M44 double temp switch and not touching the chassis-side wiring my SPAL will turn on at 88C, lower than the factory M52 setting.

Since doing this I have run the car and let it idle long enough to kick the fan on. By only wiring up the SPAL through the stock AUX connector and using the M44 double temp switch my fan kicks on and lowers the radiator temperature just as the stock fan would. The only difference is that my SPAL only has one speed. So it comes on at the "high" temp of 88C on the exit side of the radiator.
Quoting this as it is very good information...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
That's good to hear, I had to add the pilot bearing since the donor motor was attached to an automatic, pilot bearing is the same size for all e36 motors I believe.

Awesome James, I'm sure you're making more power with those cams than I am. What happened to the diffs? Bearings went or something else?

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk
I first swapped in an e30 2.93 LSD which wore out the clutches in about 2 years... I replaced it with a 3.15 Torsen LSD which has developed a bad "clunk" and has lots of play on the right side. Both were used with unknown original miles, so both were a crap shoot as far as how long they would last and neither cost me much at all...

I am now rebuilding a 3.46 LSD from an e28 to be (I hope) the last diff I install...

I also just finished my 2nd swap project, a stock S50 into the twin ti, and kept the Getrag. I used the UUC 11.5 lb flywheel/e34 M5 clutch combo on this setup, and it is still attached to the small case 3.45 LSD that came on the car originally, which will need to be upgraded soon as well...
James 95 active w/leather interior and sport interior conversion, Vaders, full M-Tech exterior conversion. Now m50 swapped* Eibach sway bars, D2 Coilovers, Depo's w/AE's, blacked-out sides and grills, LeatherZ console and door armrests, 1 series starter button mod, and custom finished Style 5's <--- in this color! Named "Roddy": *M50 6 cyl. swap with fan delete, S50 cams and chip, AFE stage 2 intake, M3 clutch and 11.5 lb Fidanza flywheel, 3.15LSD, battery relocated to rear and complete custom exhaust. Sweet! 97 318ti sport, Alaska Blue, Contours, coilovers, Dove Vaders and custom black/grey interior named "Max" 95 318ti Active in Cosmos, S50 swap in progress... named "Pit" SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE! Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
wolferj-RIP is offline   Reply With Quote