View Single Post
Old 09-08-2016, 10:00 PM   #41
Strawman

I just finished installing the 3-clutch Thayer Motorsports limited slip system into my E28 3.25 differential. I also replaced the LSD case bolts, carrier side bolts, carrier side bearings, axle stub seals, and the big rubber carrier o-rings. I'm using Royal Purple 90W-140 fully synthetic gear oil. In all, this set me back $415 with shipping for the Thayer stuff, and another $38 for two quarts of the gear oil (on sale at O-Reilly's). The Thayer instructions were easy to follow, and my 10-ton press made short work of the carrier bearing work. I'm hoping my decision to not do the pinion bearing won't bite me in the ass; the side carrier bearings definitely were "polished."

I bought the axle hub bearings from ECS Tuning (along with other stuff, of course), and the package arrived yesterday. If all goes well tonight and tomorrow, I'll have the car back on the road by the weekend. Thayer says to give it 25 miles of easy driving with no hard acceleration or lots of tight turning to break in the new clutch plates-n-dogs.
Sleeper Calypsorot 1996 318ti tintop. CA-legal swapped S52 from '98 M3, and ZF transmission with lightened flywheel/clutch. Magnaflow 2-into-1 muffler. Six-cylinder Eibach springs in front and 318ti H&R Sport springs in rear. Koni Sport adjustable dampers all around. Racing Dynamics 28mm & 19mm swaybars. M3 front hubs/brakes, E34 rear calipers, braided SS brake lines, Hawk HP-S pads. DS-II wheels. Polyflex purple bushings throughout, and factory lower x-brace. Fan delete mod. Engine mount reinforcements welded-in. 3.25 LSD rear diff from E28 & E30 axles.
Strawman is offline   Reply With Quote