View Single Post
Old 07-01-2006, 07:58 PM   #1
robcarync

Default thinking about transmission swap...

First of all, I know there are threads about this and I have searched and read on bf.c and have found some information but still had some questions.

I have regretted getting an auto transmission for some time now, and now I might have some sources for some cheap parts from an e36 being parted out, so im getting some information together so hopefully I can get this done or at least start collecting parts to get it done in the future.

First off is a parts list...I have read the parts list on bf.c but seeing as its not ti specfic I wanted to make sure i have the right information:

Manual transmission
Flywheel
Clutch
Guibo
Shifter assembly
Pedal assembly/master cylinder/slave cylinder
Hard/soft lines
3.XX differential
Transmission mounts
Driveshaft
Transmission braces

I have collected this through posts from DustenT so I'm pretty sure it's accurate seeing as he did this swap, but I also had some questions about them.

1) Someone on the bf.c manual swap thread said getting a new differential wasn't necessary and he kept his stock one. So I was just curious if it is imperative to get a new differential or what would happen if I kept the stock one.

2) Also, someone in the thread said he just got his drive shaft lengthened at a shop for under 200 dollars and he didn't need to get a new one. Any opinons?

3) I have read on here and bf.c about the CEL staying on because the ECU is different for manual and automatic. Is there anyway to 'easily' fix this or is it easier to just leave it on. I have a scanner tool so I can eaisly scan to see if anything else is wrong, so I am not too worried.

4) What parts will fit the ti? Will any e36 manual transmission car have parts that will fit? I have a 95 with the m42 engine, so will that cause any fitment issues, or will the transmission and parts be the same for OBD II cars as well?

5) Any help with rewiring reverse lights. I think I read on here that they need to be rewired to work properly.

6) Where to start. I am not looking for step by step instructions or anything, but just what order should the parts be swapped out? I have a Bentley manual that will be lots of help in removing the parts. Are there any other parts that need to be removed to gain access to transmission parts and such. I'm just trying to figure out what all this job will require. I have read it will take anywhere from 10-60 hours, which is obviously a large range of time. I will have a better chance of swapping transmissions if I can do it myself with my pops, because I know we don't really want to pay a ton of money to a shop, $70/hour for up to 60 hours. This will be our largest automotive project ever attempted (if we actually get to try this), but I'm confident if I do enough research and get very well prepared we can get it done if we set aside a long weekend or so.

I am still in the very early stages of planning this. I am accumulating information to help with the convicing of my pops that this is a good idea. For all I know I may never even get to this, but I need to find as much information on it as possible, since my pops will probably end up helping with funding for this project.

I'm sorry if this stuff has been posted already. I did do a few searches and have found a lot of helpful information, but I just had a few extra questions I haven't figured out yet.

Thanks for any help guys, especially to Andyman for helping my find sources for parts.

=======

When I first mentioned a transmission swap to my pops, he flat out told me to stop thinking about it because it's never going to happen. Andyman sent me a few PM's with some people that have some parts, and I told my pops about it, and got him to sit down and hear me out. Now it is at a 'Let me talk to my buddy at work who has done some swaps on his cars. Let's figure out how big this job is first. I think we could probably get it done with the help of Mr. Bentley.'

So yeah, thanks Andyman!
Pioneer Speakers [] Aluminum Billet door locks [] ACS Pedals/Deadrest [] ACS Shift Knob / E-Brake Handle [] Clear Corners/Tails/Sides [] Sylvania Exterior Lighting [] Custom CAI [] Dinan Engine Chip [] Dinan Transmission Chip [] H&R Race Springs [] Tokico Illumina Shocks [] BMW X-Brace [] Relocated Lighter Mod [] Custom iPod Mod
http://www.cardomain.com/id/robcarync
robcarync is offline   Reply With Quote