Thread: P/S Pump Delete
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 02:08 PM   #14
mohaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03whitegsr View Post
There are some assupmtions that seem simple, but they are thought out and I have no doubt it would be within 10% of reality. FWIW, I'm a mechanical engineer in my professional life.

I don't mind the discussion if I can get the two answers I'm looking for as part of it.
Obviously I can figure it out as I go, but other then those two items, I have everything figured out and can order parts in advance instead of waiting until the car is apart then having to wait for stuff to show up.

A LOT of what I will do on this car will not make sense to many. Cars for me is about the journey, not the destination.

For example, I'm pretty sure I could reach my power goals with a turbo setup, I'm pretty well versed in making power on I4 turbo motors. But I'd rather have an N/A V8 with ITBs screaming at 9500 RPM, even if it cost 3x as much.
Front to rear weight balance, aka 50/50 weight distribution is more of a marketting terms. I've not met any racers that scale their cars that are primarily worried about front to rear weight balance. They are typically more concerned about cross weight balance first, and then maybe front to rear balance if they are trying to correct a specific issue.

My advice to anybody that is making a performance car for track purposes is to think about your long term plans for the car, what group do you want to run with, what class, and what rules do those classes/groups have. Seems like a lot of money and effort on an electric fuel pump setup. The only cars I see running that kind of system at the track are the high end "unlimited" kind of cars that usually just have power/weight restrictions and can do anything else. The main purpose being removing parasitic drag on the motor or making more room in the engine bay for other mods. Typically the pump is put into the passenger side foot well to minimize pipe/tubing length.

A decent article that dispells some of the myths about 50/50 being the perfect weight balance. It really depends on the car, the driver, the course, tires, etc... http://www.circletrack.com/tipstrick...ion/index.html
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote