View Single Post
Old 10-23-2018, 02:38 AM   #90
aldogg7

Vehicles

Big bump for CirrusSR22's detailed write-up of this procedure with all of the pictures. Just did the whole thing on my M42 and it went flawlessly. Definitely a good time to replace the pair of cabin filters too. It looked like they had never been done on my 1995 TI.

And great advice from paul somlo on using a M6x1 nut to get the rubber washers on the valve cover bolts. I can't imagine having to use brute force to push those on 15 times.

The whole reason for doing this project is that a bit of oil was leaking into the coil tubes for cylinders 1-3. I cleaned out the oil and replaced the plugs (likely never had been done either) just before putting the new gasket and cover on.

Remember to use a criss-cross pattern when doing the cover bolts too. I started with the bolt in the very center at cylinder 2. It was actually this plug tube that had the most oil in it. It looked like the gasket had been replaced once before, and I bet that last time the surrounding bolts were put on first, leaving an curvature in the cover and a gap at the center bolt.

Anyway, fun job, hardest part was probably pulling the air flow baffle out. It might not be needed to be removed, but it certainly gives more room to maneuver the valve cover off and on.
aldogg7 is offline   Reply With Quote