View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #9
mohaughn

I haven't run a rear bar in years. My mechanic is the chief mechanic for RSR racing which was running the mini coopers in grand-am, but he has also worked with Automatic racing and other BMW racing teams going back about 10-15 years. He swears by removing the rear sway bar on cars with this kind of suspension setup.

Typically, you'll want to go with a stiffer spring to offset any loss in roll resistance. I think the general TCKline recommendation for our cars for 500# rear springs is to soft. I also think the full length TCKline springs are to long for the rear of our car. You end up taking out the spring perch and losing any adjustability. Best to go with their shorty springs, or something comparable, and probably in the 650 to 700# range for Koni DAs with the height adjuster collar so you can properly balance the car.

The other thing you can do to try and get more rear grip is to soften dampening and rebound. Softer suspension on a particular end of the car usually helps with increased traction on that same end. Removing the sway bar lets the rear squat down better. I'd go with the Ireland Engineering weld in camber/toe adjustments. I run with slight toe-in and around -2 degrees of camber in the rear.

You should be able to run a 245 or 255 with rolled fenders and a camber kit. As long as it is shorter than a 40. 245-45 17"s rubbed on my car, but that tire is way to tall to be a good performance tire anyway. 245x40 would have fit without issue.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote