View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 05:41 PM   #43
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus View Post
OK - there are two types of variable intake manifolds that I have seen:

1) Varies the length of the intake runners to improve low end torque and high end power - this uses the long (and sometimes smaller) runners to create torque at low RPM and SHORT (and larger) ones at high RPM.

2) The other type actually changes the volume of the intake plenum by opening a set of butterflies in the manifold - this type of setup does not go well with forced induction because it works based on harmonics created by the intalke pulses.

Which one is the DISA?

BTW - I could be wrong here but John's description of the DISA running both runners at high RPM sounds correct, it shuts off the short runners to create torque with the long runners, then opens the short ones at high RPM - if that is the case the valve would need to be pinned open,

- OR -

Since there is just one plate - then you could simply remove the plate and the offending metal rod, leave the actuator hooked up and then the rod would still be actuating (actuating nothing) so the ECU is happy - end of story ( I think this is basically the "cheez" solution you describe on the DASC, sometimes you need to K.I.S.S !!!)

OR you could just add the 100ohm resistor in place of the actuator as it says in the knowledge base (if this really works, long-term) - but that still requires more work since you have to hunt down a block-off plate and resistor and wire it up etc. vs. just removing the valve and rod.

For price I would remove the DISA guts and use it as a block off plate and simulator in one. No harm in doing that.
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote