View Single Post
Old 10-25-2009, 08:46 PM   #8
DGWGuitars

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurekaiv View Post
My right rear speaker blew up today. And so I've done a bunch of searching and reading around and still have a few questions about replacing both of my rear speakers with something nicer. If I'm understanding correctly, it looks like there's 4 ways to go.

1. Get a 4T mount speaker. It doesn't appear from looking at pics of 4T speakers that these are a direct drop in replacement so I'm not sure why this is any better then other ways.

2. Get a 4" speaker and bend the tabs so that I can mount it in the current bracket after breaking out the bad old speaker. I'm leaning towards this at the moment as it looks like the simplest mod without cutting up the bracket too much. How does this effect the sound however? Most replacement speakers are two-way and if I recall correctly the stock amp has crossovers heading to the rear sub and tweeter. So wiring the new two-way speaker in place of the old woofer will have it getting a crossed over signal... or a signal with no high end. Also, no warranty if I have to bend the tabs to mount them.

3. Spend $70 on two mounting brackets for standard 5.25" speakers. My favorite choice for ease but much more expensive due to the overpriced plastic mounting bracket. It also seems like the crossover issue is there (if that is indeed an issue) and many of these aftermarket speakers have the tweeter sticking up rather high and I suspect that may prevent the speaker from mounting correctly. Do they come with shim rings typcially?

4. Cut up the panel to fit 6.5" speakers as seen here: http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21708
I like the idea of larger speakers but not sure I'd be able to get just any 6.5" to work (due to the tweeter sticking up above the surround) and I'm not all that keen on cutting up pieces of the car to fit speakers.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.
I have one, if you want it. The left one blew on mine and I ended up replacing both, so I have the old one which worked when it was taken out. PM me.
DGWGuitars is offline   Reply With Quote