View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 03:07 AM   #63
planksta

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
hmm ok, well there's no real way to check the cat(that I know of) other than removing it and shaking it to see if you can hear stuff rattling around inside of it, aside from taking it in and having an emissions test performed. The problem with doing so is that you run a great risk of snapping the studs off of the header. If that happens, which is pretty common, you have to drill them out and from what I've read it's a total PITA due to the angle and cramped workspace. Maybe you could try removing the oil cap while it's idling and see if that relieves some of the pressure or if the idle changes. Usually, the engine won't even idle if the oil cap is off, so put your hand over the opening and see if you feel pressure building up.
Hey jesse i was just reading over this again and i realized that you said an emissions test performed would tell whether it was the cat or not, i had an emissions test done a few months back and i had all of these problems during that test and i passed the test fine so idk, im half tempted to take my cat off like you said, even if i run the risk of breaking those studs, if i take the cat off do those studs come off with the cat or are they attached to the headers??