View Single Post
Old 03-28-2020, 06:15 PM   #1
tiRally

Default Broken motor mounts caused engine to shift

Hey all,

(bold/italicized is the important stuff)

During my last rallyx event (October), I hit dropped down into a deep rut which caused my mounts to blow and an exhaust leak. I'm finally getting around the replacing them now that it's warm using the DIY on here (using a jack) however when I removed the driver side mount, I realized that both sides were in two parts and the engine had shifted to the driver side by about 1/2 an inch.

I removed the passenger side hoping this would allow the engine to move back over. It didn't. Rented an engine hoist this morning however when I pull the engine to the passenger side, it moves right back to where it was, off center.

I could recruit my roommate to lower the engine while I pull it into position however this doesn't solve the root problem - why won't the engine stay in the correct position when moved? If I lower it onto the mounts, will the pressure from the engine trying to pull itself toward the driver side cause the trans/engine mounts to fail prematurely? Do I need to disconnect the transmission as well?

Similar thread here: http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthrea...ht=motor+mount
tiRally is offline   Reply With Quote