Thread: oil leak
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #8
BimmerBum

Vehicles

The quote sounds reasonable but none of that (except the oil pan gasket) is terribly difficult. If it were me I would pick off the leaks one by one. The most important of which (and easiest) would be the radiator hoses. If you do not know when the cooling system was last addressed you will want to consider a new water pump, thermostat, and the plastic fittings on the block and head.

The radiator hoses are cheap and easy though, start there. Buy an upper and lower hose, a gallon of distilled water, and a gallon of OE BMW coolant and have at it. All you will need is a screw driver.

That is a long list and it is easy to get overwhelmed but just prioritize and pick them off one by one. We are here to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjreed92 View Post
Well I brought my ti into a bmw mechanic and found out what it wrong...not a fun way to end a long work day haha.
Oil housing filter needs to be replaced
Possibly the oil pan as well
Radiator hoses need replacing
Power steering hoses need replacing
Transmission hoses need replacing

The whole bottom side of the front end needs to be cleaned up since all these fluids have been spraying around underneath for who knows how long since the previous owner didn't mention any of these problems when I asked.

The estimated cost for the mechanic to fix these is around 1,000

I am new to the working on cars thing so I don't know how smart it would be for me to try and fix these myself. I know there was a link about replacing the oil housing filter, but I am not sure about the hoses. I don't have access to any special bmw tools so I don't even know if I could do this myself if I wanted.

I think that since I just bought the car I think it would be a smarter decision to first let the mechanic do all the fixes, then I will know what has been done and in the future when something needs fixing I should do it myself and shouldn't have any suprises to more problems.

What do you guys think? Does the mechanics estimate sound about fair? Are all these problems something a new car guy like me should try and tackle? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks guys

SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!

www.BimmerBum.com ALL NEW!
318ti Specific Parts For Sale
www.facebook.com/BimmerBum

BMWCCA #132203
95 318ti Club Sport
98 318ti Active S50 Swap

BimmerBum is offline   Reply With Quote