View Single Post
Old 11-25-2014, 06:30 AM   #12
ZEK

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIz guy View Post
I spent 10 minutes putting this together.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xZb4Jx

The parts are all between mid-grade and high-end. I also didn't read up on how well everything overclocks, since you didn't mention if you knew how to deal with that. The things I would worry about in my build is whether or not the HD is reliable or not. I also picked a generic case from a reputable brand. The power supply is also from a trusted company, but I am not sure if Seasonic is still a top tier brand. Still, this build should last you 3+ years with joyful iRacing use.

I will probably look harder over the next day in case I decide to update my desktop to play more iRacing. It is ancient and nearing 8 years old now.
It is easy/quick to use pc part picker for choosing parts so good for that. With that build however if he does not plan on OC (unlikely as this will be his first build) then there is no reason to get an aftermarket cooler, nor one as expensive as the Noctua. The stock heatsink will suffice. With that and the deals now it may be possible to move up to an i7. Also if no OC then no reason to get a Z87 board, since the 9 series is out now too. The H97 will be fine. Ram is fine and the SSD as well. It's not a monster machine so top tier SSD won't matter. I'd suggest throwing in a mechanical drive for other storage. Case is a good budget case. As for the GPU it really depends. There are some good deals now on the 290/X right now so you can jump on those. There is also the GTX970 from Nvidia. I'll look into the game to see if it pairs better with different drivers. CD is fine if needed, but I just use a flash drive to install OS. With that I would HIGHLY suggest 8.1 as your OS. I've used both 7 and 8/8.1 and prefer 8.1. If you miss start menu then get Start8. But the under the hood fixes and performance are worth it. Plus it will be supported longer. Seasonic is still a solid manufacturer but with the current deals any solid 500W psu will be fine. Get a modular one though, much easier and shouldn't cost more. I'll throw a system together tomorrow for what I would but right now. Also what resolution are you gaming at?
ZEK is offline   Reply With Quote