View Single Post
Old 02-19-2015, 10:33 PM   #59
anassa

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrash View Post
The 318ti is the same as the E36 Sedan (4-door) from the A-pillar forward, and pretty much unique from there back. Sure, some small parts are interchangeable, but the big parts are unique to this model.

The rear suspension is the same type as found on the E30, but I'll let someone more knowledgeable than me elaborate on interchangeability.

Welcome to the site!
Ditto on this! ^^^

You can basically consider it a 318i from the A pillar forward, suspension, engine bay etc is all 100% sedan E36 (sedan has a shorter hood then coupe, among other little things), the wheel base is the same as any other E36, driveline - trans driveline is same length as any other E36, the diff is basically small case e30, you can easily swap diffs in from a e30 or z3, just remember that if you go to med case diff you will need axles that go with it. Its pretty straightforward in the rear, e30/z3 shocks/springs will fit fine, z3 suspension will be a little shorter though. Mechanically you have a lot of support and parts between the e36/e30/z3 chassis. Oh boy I started getting distracted from the original question.

Look for a sedan e36 strut bar and you should be fine. m52/s52 clearance vs m44 shouldn't be too different. I got a random eibach bar that was for the 318i E36 and it fit fine.

***328ti Build thread. ***

Even more important:
SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
anassa is offline   Reply With Quote