View Single Post
Old 04-23-2018, 06:50 PM   #1
rico_vancouver

Default Newbie transmission compatibility question

Hi all,

New 1995 318Ti owner (one week). Having an auto transmission issue, and it's in the tranny shop right now. Hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. I see a 1996 328is parting out on Craigslist, and the 4-sp auto only has 86k kms on it. My web research says it is/should be a GM 4L30E, like in mine. Is that all I need to know to tell if it will be a match? What would be a good offer price for a low mileage auto transmission?

Anyhow, for anyone interested or has input, the problem occurs only after warming up for 7-10 mins. Drives/shifts normally (I think) when cold. After warmed up a bit, there is a "slip" between 1st and 2nd, where the engine revs freely between gears, and then most of the time, 2nd engages. Doesn't seem to slip going into 3rd. Similarly, don't seem to have any issues going into 4th. Had the transmission fluid checked when the oil was changed a few days ago, and it was full, but dark. Haven't driven the car enough to know for sure, but it doesn't seem that the A/M switch works - i.e. if I put it in M mode, and select 2nd, for example, I would expect the car to shift down to 2 and stay there.

Thanks for your input.

Rich
rico_vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote