View Single Post
Old 07-27-2005, 03:45 PM   #4
caffeinekid

Quote:
but I would be interested in details about the winddeflector that you added to the cali roof and your impressions of it.
The wind deflector itself is called a "slipstream kit" and costs around $200.00. It flips up when the roof is retracted and folds down under the roof when it closes. It comes with installation instructions as well.
The rear shade is part of the hatch tray that was originally available with "slipstream package" on some 98 & 99 model California roof Ti's. The hatch tray also runs somewhere around $200.00. There are two small holders that the screen seats into when it is pulled up from the hatch tray. They have to be retrofitted and are necessary in order to actually use the screen.

I have been happy with the retro-mod since it does reduce a certain amount of the windflow coming in from the front and the rear shade keeps the sun out in the back. IMO, it looks cooler too. I would certainly recommend getting and installing it. The maintenance on the wind deflector (if necessary...bugs, debris, etc.) is very easy. It simply slips out of its frame and can be washed with mild detergent. In the unlikely event that it gets torn or damaged, it can also be ordered seperately from the entire kit for about $80.00.

If you are considering getting it yourself, I can dig through my papers and find part #s and prices. As always, I use my BMW CCA membership discount card.