View Single Post
Old 03-05-2010, 04:40 AM   #1
Scott996tt

Default New member Intro...Porschephile crosses over!

Hello there!
Just picked up my ti, and thought I'd formally introduce myself and become a contributing member, since this site has no doubt already saved me hundreds of dollars in repair costs!

I recently decided to stop daily driving my turbo, and thought that a ti would be a perfect commuter. I was right, but what was really unexpected is how much I have been enjoying this little car in the two weeks I've owned it. Even coming from a modified Porsche with around 500hp, I have to admit that this car is just a hoot to drive. My new baby is a 1995 base 5-speed in black with grey interior. Pretty much bone stock, with 169k miles!

After about 7 coats of polish/wax, I've about got the paint back to life (prior owner did not wax the car for the duration of her 3 years of ownership!). Also, in the past week I've changed the oil and filter, changed the plugs and tranny fluid, fixed a power steering leak, fixed a regulator by re-bending the arms and lubing the slides, replaced a window switch, re-soldered the wires to the electric mirrors, replaced various bulbs and trim pieces, and otherwise detailed the crap out of it! (I'm very anal about having a clean car).

This weekend I plan to change the thermostat (pretty sure it is stuck open) and water pump, replace the upper radiator hoses (radiator looks to be pretty new) change the air filter, replace both belts, and change the fuel filter. I'm also planning to attempt to paint the skirts and grey bumper sections with some rattle-can auto paint to see how it turns out. I'm trying to be as economical as possible, as I've got a few mods planned for my turbo that the wife will certainly veto if I end up spending too much on the ti.

I'll also need to replace the valve cover shortly, as I have a bit of weeping at the moment. I also have to replace the stock struts/shocks, as they are completely shot (I'll be soliciting some advice on this topic very soon), and will probably refresh the sway bar and control arm bushings. I love how easy the car is to work on (for example...plugs on my turbo took me about 8 hours, as you have to basically remove the entire rear of the car to access them!).

I look forward to participating on this forum! Below are the obligatory photos of the ti after picking her up in L.A. (as well as a gratuitous shot of my "other" baby). Scott.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	DSC_0289.jpg Views:	163 Size:	57.7 KB ID:	9454   Click image for larger version Name:	DSC_0288.jpg Views:	147 Size:	62.5 KB ID:	9455   Click image for larger version Name:	DSC_0438[1].jpg Views:	168 Size:	55.8 KB ID:	9456  

Scott996tt is offline   Reply With Quote