View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
imoutheredetroit

Vehicles
Cool 318ti Electrical Problems (Lights) Please Help.

So recently i acquired a 1998 BMW 318ti with a California top. Ive always been a VW guy and have owned nothing but volkswagens and volvo, Ive always loved BMW styling, but remember how much my Uncle struggled with there electrical system. Hah, I remember he had a 740i catch fire once while driving! Anyways, i was recently in a situation where someone had to move out of state and sell there car.. They were leaving in 6 hours, and i couldnt pass up this deal on a beamer. New paint, new bilstein suspension, new tires, lights, exhaust, etc... I got the car @ midnight, in the dark (never a good time to buy a vehicle) from a strange gentleman that was in a hurry to get out of town.. I bought the car, after making sure VIN#s matched and it wasnt stolen. The car runs and drives great, Its an automatic but im actually impressed. What a great transmission! After flying home on the highway and discovering why they call these cars "the ultimate driving machine", I got it back to take a look at my purchase. I got the car for so cheap, I was ready to handle some bad news. After looking at the car thoroughly, I realized it was in pretty good shape. I am however, having some very, very frusterating electrical issues. - The car has a very poorly wired Halo light system, which i know nothing about. The speedometer lights shut off, because i blow fuse #7. (not sure this is even the right speedo fuse, but #7 blows) i replace the fuse with a 20amp and everything works great. I shut down my car, and now my rear pass. side brake light, as well as my front pass. side parking light stay on. I turn the car on, and then fuse blows again. I am a very good DIY'er and realize somethings crossed and running hot. I am curious, Does anyone know how these kids wire these HALOS up? i realize they tap into the running lights from the blinkers to power the LEDs but other than that, are they wired to a fuse? Do they have there own capacitor or are they just tapped in? I have taken the led's out and attempted to wire the blinkers back to original, but am thinking that the lights arnt my cause for #7 blowing out. I dont know where this things crossed, but was wondering if anyone had any ideas.. could it be a bad ground? Theres seems to be a constant source of power coming from somewhere... Ive fallen in love with the car and really want to figure this out. Hopefully i dont need a new wiring harness... Other than that, - I need a new motor for the sunroof -Cooling Fan doesnt kick on -Cabin Heat/AC is intermittent -Rear hatch wont open Other than that, the car is in fantastic shape! 129,000 miles Thanks for all your help, -Matt

Last edited by imoutheredetroit; 10-23-2012 at 10:03 AM. Reason: wrong model
imoutheredetroit is offline   Reply With Quote