View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 01:28 AM   #45
bovilexic

I recently asked my (very expensive) regular BMW mechanic to give me an estimate on replacing the two plastic parts in question (I don't have a good place to work much on my car). He suggested that we look at replacing "all the plastic parts" in the cooling system. Not unreasonable as an idea, but he got back to me with an estimate of $1400-1500 (!). At the time, he may not have known that the previous owner had replaced the radiator, pump, etc. just earlier last year, so perhaps it might have been a bit less...

I've seen the tutorial on R&R-ing one's cooling system (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18066). Of course, I don't need yet replace the radiator and water pump, but here's my question: is the list of parts given in the tutorial a complete list of what one ought to replace in one's cooling system? Without radiator and pump, it seems like a relatively small amount of money, leading me to assume that there's a lot of hours of work involved (hence the high estimate from my mechanic). Assuming an R&R without replacing radiator/pump, can someone who's done the work volunteer a ballpark estimate on the time needed to do the rest (assuming I'm moderately competent)?

Thanks! Any advice greatly appreciated...
bovilexic is offline   Reply With Quote