View Single Post
Old 05-01-2006, 03:36 PM   #6
mohaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubSport
I'd like to change to a MAF, but it's not in the plans right now. 220 would be pushing it, especially if your talking whp. You'd need 10+psi and fueling to match.
haha.. well, I had a good response, but the system timed out on me, and away it went...

The rims, exhaust, and resonator are getting ordered this week. I hope to have the AFM->MAF and M3 brake kit done by the beginning of next month. There is a shop down the street from me that has a dyno, so I may have to stop by there and see what they would charge to do a pull or two. I've not seen any numbers for what the MAF conversion does on a M42. Although many folks over at the DTM power forums say they got some pretty major increases doing this conversion on other BMW engines. If I can get 5-15HP out of the full exhaust and MAF I'll be happy. The car will get it's first taste of "track life" in July out at Sebring. So I want it breathing better and stopping faster before then.

What maintenance items should be checked on the engine before installing an SC? I'm guessing a pressure check and oil analysis should point out any problems pretty quickly. The engine has 135k miles on it, but it has been maintained very well. The valve cover was removed and the gasket replaced as well as the top of the engine inspected around 90k miles. It just had a small oil leak from the gasket, with no other problems found at that time.

I found a compression test kit online for about 90$. Is this reasonable, or is this a POS kit? My mechanic will charge me for 1 hour at his standard rate to do the check. If the 90$ kit is enough to do the job I'll do it myself when I replace the plug wires and plugs.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote