Thread: Swap Manual Q&A
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009, 01:32 PM   #54
MacUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m View Post
I had not considered that option, but thinking about it, it seems like a great deal of time and effort for little payback.
Maybe. Maybe not. It depends on your "full manual", which I haven't seen. I subscribe to Lynda.com to learn how to use various software packages by watching online video clips. Non-subscribers can see selected video clips within each lesson ... just enough to whet their appetites, I suppose. So, for people running the site, there's very little additional effort involved. Of course, the authors know this in advance and design their lessons in a suitable manner.

Back when my teen-aged son was interested in Civics (and engine swaps), we found a Honda engine swap guide. Before purchasing the guide, the author recommended you subscribe to his "mini-newsletter". For several days in a row, you'd receive an email discussing various parts of the process, such as finding reliable sources for the parts. I don't know how many of the people who subscribed to the newsletter ended up buying his manual, but I know I did.

One other idea ... have you thought about breaking the book up? Would the suspension upgrades be useful in and of themselves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m View Post
Everyone who purchases it gets some good information out of it- even those people who end up not doing a swap after all.
From all I've read here, I have no doubt of that. That's why I'll likely end up buying your manual! If possession is truly nine-tenths of the laws, then I don't even own a 318ti yet. My recently-purchased Compact is going to be taken away from me by my college student son next week. I'm already looking for a cheap ti with a dodgy drivetrain!

That could be the first part of your newsletter ... "Factors to consider when purchasing a recipient ti". Part Two could be "Finding the right donor car". I was searching for a donor on eBay and saw one that lead you to believe it was an M3, when it was actually a 318ti with a badly-damaged front-end. I'm guessing that would be a very bad donor for several reasons.

Greg
MacUser is offline   Reply With Quote