Thread: Biolite's Build
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2022, 12:31 AM   #8
Biolite

Update for anyone else still on the forum. Took a long while to get parts back from the machinist, but they finally got done. Bottom end was balanced to within 0.5g, crank nose turned down with a new keyway cut, and the pistons decked down (I think it was 0.047 inches) to fit the Honda B18C1/5 rods. Crank fit perfect and got everything in. I did have to swap out one of the intended pistons because of a damaged ring groove I didn't notice. Glad he decked all 6 pistons for me. The head got put on over the weekend and the cams and timing components installed. Those are just stock M42 cams, perhaps I'll change them later, but would like to get it running first. Also, I had this custom gauge pod FDM'd for the center console. This weekend I hope to wrap up the rest of the engine and start on wiring in the wideband. I have the AEM one in the gauge pod picture, but I decided to go with the Innovate LM-1 due to its ability to emulate a narrowband. In theory, I should be able to provide this signal to the ECU and have it tune slightly rich until I have time to get a megasquirt going. The only major hurdle I see is the M42 thermostat housing - I cannot find one anywhere. Going to try the salvage yard again this upcoming weekend to see if they have any new stock, but these have become difficult to find. Back up plan is to reverse engineer it and have it FDM'd from aluminum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	crank_n_block.jpg Views:	136 Size:	49.0 KB ID:	18187   Click image for larger version Name:	pistone_installed.jpg Views:	141 Size:	85.2 KB ID:	18188   Click image for larger version Name:	head_fitted.jpg Views:	135 Size:	88.5 KB ID:	18189  

Click image for larger version Name:	cams_in.jpg Views:	135 Size:	97.1 KB ID:	18190   Click image for larger version Name:	custom_gauge_pod.jpg Views:	135 Size:	45.5 KB ID:	18191