View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 03:36 AM   #32
pnosker

Waterpump should be replaced before 120k unless you hear a rattle. Replace the thermostat as well as all coolant hoses. Use RealOEM.com to help you. No timing belt as the ti has a timing chain. Thank God!

Waterpump is a 2-3 hour job. Make sure you have the proper bolts to pull it out. I suggest reading the PelicanParts.com article on it. The Y shaped coolant connector is a huge PITA. You need to remove the intake manifold and it helps if you can drop the engine off one mount slightly so that you have more room to work. Also, it helps to move the electrical harness box and cabin filter system. Other things to change while the intake manifold is off: all air lines. Especially the octopus fuel vac lines. You'll know what I'm talking about when you pull the upper IM off. Finally, the two fuel lines that connect to the rail should also probably be replaced. Once you do that, your car will be nice and reliable on the coolant/vacuum line side for years to come.

Maybe while you're at it, do brake fluid (ATE Super Blue), diff fluid (Redline), coolant (make sure you use BMW approved coolant as standard Prestone type [yellow] has electrolytes that aren't compatible and will create an electric gradient which will galvanize the metals) and trans fluid too (Redline lubricants makes good stuff). And recharge the A/C. And lube up the sunroof. hmm... anymore? Replace spark plugs (use anti-seize on the new ones!) and oil (I love my Mobil 1 0w40) and call it a year.
pnosker is offline   Reply With Quote