View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 11:42 PM   #1
yosso

Default Thinking about a S/C 1998 318ti, run away or keep going?

Anyway, I am getting tired of being crammed into the Miata, it is the Mazdaspeed version, so it has a bit more 'oomph' than the stock NB Miata...but it's still small for somebody over 6', not to mention my feet are always in the wrong place at the wrong time.

So, I've been trolling craigslist and the various forums trying to find something fun and affordable, and different. So I come across a 1998 318ti with a supercharger and which seems to be nicely maintained and so forth.

Link to CL posting

Highlights:
  • Asking: $8500.00
  • Mileage: 74,xxx
  • Motor rebuilt roughly 5,xxx miles back. Not sure why, need to ask.
  • Five speed
  • M-tech bumper

Several questions for the 318ti experts.

The car appears to be pristine on the outside, but there is what seems to be an excessive amount of grease/oil/gunk around the coolant tubes (?) on the front of the motor.

I had a supercharged Mustang once upon a time, and it was always a PITA to keep going, between head gaskets and fuel pumps, so I'm wondering about this kit on the 318ti...it is not a Downing/Atlanta S/C - but something that was derived from a Z4 kit by another manufacturer. The Seller admits, that the car needs some sort of engine management, as it is currently only running a Power Commander and the fuel economy suffers.

What would be the tuning options, cost, time? Megasquirt? or ??? Guess I need to continue my research.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

M.

Last edited by yosso; 08-09-2012 at 01:39 PM. Reason: correct title
yosso is offline   Reply With Quote