View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 07:47 PM   #23
Ragnorak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnorak View Post
Another question though. Have you guys required wheel spacers for the PSS/PSS9 setups? I'm running staggered DS2s at the moment (225/45 and 245/40) and will really only be going for a modest drop to close the wheel gap. I don't really believe in slamming a DD...so sue me.

Also, should I run the M3 strut hats or the non-M E36 hats? My thoughts are to run the M3 hats to reduce negative camber but I want to find out from people that have done this already to eliminate the guesswork.
Install is simple.
To follow up to my own post, I installed my Bilstein PSS system last week and overall it went very well. I didn't have any issues with removing the OEM rear springs. I think those that have had problems with the rear springs might be removing non-M-tech springs, which are longer.

The M3 strut hats worked nicely and definitely removed excessive negative camber compared to the non-M hats.

On a lift, this install could be done easily in 1-2 hours if you know what you're doing. I snapped a spindle bolt that we had to drill out which took another 2 hours alone.

You might need spacers.
I was surprised that I needed spacers but expected it. I'm currently running staggered M3 wheels (225/45/17x7.5 and 245/40/17x8.5). Without the collars on the front coilovers all the way up, they would definitely rub the tire. If you want to modestly drop the car, you'll need a decent spacer. For me, a 12 mm or 15 mm worked well. I just don't know which I like best yet.

If you do...clean your spacers!
After I installed the spacers, I had BAD vibration from the front end. Immediately, my mind ran to the worst cause of wearing out control arm bushings. The lugs were torqued to spec. After removing them and checking the hub, we realized that any debris between the hub and the spacer or between the spacer and the wheel will cause an imbalance and bad vibration.

The ride is awesome.
The car feels completely different now. My rear struts were blown pretty bad and I didn't realize it until I pulled them and compressed them. Shifting feels smoother from less front-to-back motion and cornering is great. The car follows the contour of the road exactly, which can be annoying in areas that aren't bumpy but are uneven. You'll feel like you're on a bit of a roller coaster but the trade-off is well worth it.