View Single Post
Old 01-31-2005, 10:19 PM   #2
L84THSKY

My experiences have been mixed at best. I live on Long Island, and we had a big snow storm 2 weeks ago. I have noticed a common situation occur that can be quite scary. I have to jump on the service road to then jump onto the Long Island Expressway. Twice last week, I saw a small opening, and decided to jump onto the service road. There was a car coming not too far away, so I needed to make my move fast. As I made a hard right turn, and accelerated, the rear end must have been slipping on some ice. The car bogged down with a total loss of power down to a crawl. This wasn't good, since a car doing about 35 was very close behind me. Just when the wheels came free of the ice, the car suddenly leaped forward like a bat out of hell. Very scary situation, as I almost got rear ended on my own accord.

Bottom line is, be careful with the Traction Control. It can be helpful, but it also can put you in a perilous situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettitWC
I just got back from a weekend excursion over a mountain or two in southwestern virginia in the snow. Driving my ti in the snow was awesome. I don't have specific winter tires, just some all season Brigdestones, but it was perfect in the wintry mix. There was one time when i took a turn to fast on this winding mountain road where we slid into the corner a little deeper than I ould have liked but in the end it only added to the fun. The stability control really helps the car find traction even on snow and ice. We were cruising faster than all the SUVs and had no problems whatsoever. I just though I'd share this as I am new to the ti and this really amazed me. The only problem now is taking the time to wash all the grime off the car.

Anybody else been out in the snow?

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote