View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 05:09 AM   #1
tylerwillingham

Default Puller fan not turning on and antifreeze boiling over.

Last night I went out to dinner with my girlfriend, got out of the car and had anti-freeze leaking all over the parking lot once I parked. I took it to a shop for a safety inspection and they also checked the quality of many of my fluids. I assumed the reason it boiled over was because I thought they topped off my fluids not realizing that the reservoir isn't to be 100% full. The temperature gauge in my car never changed it's position.

Today I drove the car to an interview and back home, it leaked antifreeze both times and now that car is parked in the garage where it won't move until my problem is fixed. I do not want to do any harm to the car at all so it's not going to be driven.

My father and I checked out the puller fan which is no longer turning on. Thinking it was a bad connection we used some spare wire and turned the car on accessory to double check and make sure that the fan ran. It appears as though the low-speed setting never worked on my fan. I've had this car since July 1st and I've never once noticed a low-speed on the fan, only a high. We could not get any low-speed for the fan to work however the high-speed ran just fine.

For whatever reason my car is not telling this fan that it needs to come on and it's causing my coolant to boil over and drip out of the bottom of the car. Upon further inspection we noticed that the tube on the passengers side of the car does not appear to be changing temperature or allowing fluid to go through it (by feeling it and applying pressure to check if there is any fluid inside) whereas the tube on the driver's side gets very hot to the touch. These are the hoses going to and from the thermostat housing.

Before work I picked up a thermostat and gasket from O'Reilly's. Could it be possible that the fan is not coming on because the thermostat is not telling the cars electronics that it needs to be running. And it also appears coolant is not being fed into the motor, could the thermostat be controlling this as well?

I'm on very limited funds until next week and I'm trying to do whatever I can without jumping the gun and buying more parts than I need.

Any input would be great as I'd like to begin working on this as soon as possible. My TI is my daily driver.

To clear up a few questions proactively it is an electrical puller fan with a switch for high and low speeds and my car has just under 106k miles on it with a brand new radiator and possibly a new fan as well.
tylerwillingham is offline   Reply With Quote