View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 05:09 PM   #6
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerwillingham View Post
I was unsure if your suggestion is to bleed the coolant system, or if I was missing something. I read through the thread and that's all that I could gather that you were suggesting. Sorry if I came off rude in that last post it wasn't my intention.
No worries man. I'd start by bleeding the system since it doesn't cost anything. Since you lost coolant, there's a significant chance that your system is air-locked and preventing coolant from circulating. And although I've never actually seen a puller fan kick on except when the a/c was turned on, if there's no coolant flowing through the system, the temp sensors will not be able to get a reading to tell it to turn on during an overheating condition. At this point, the sensors might be fried anyway. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the puller fan should never have to kick on if the system is functioning properly, unless you're sitting at idle in the middle of the desert. Cooling systems are pretty simple really, there's only a few components that can go bad. When the water pump fails, you can usually hear it squeaking or making noises. Thermostats usually get stuck in the open position and you'll notice the gauge dropping during acceleration. Our cars only need the fan for the A/C, so that pretty much rules out the temp sensors since they're only job is to control the fan. And finally if one of the two notorious plastic coolant lines fails or if you have a cracked radiator, coolant can leak out and an air pocket will develop and cause the system to air-lock itself. Did you actually see the coolant boiling out of the radiator? The cap is designed to relieve at a certain pressure. If you didn't actually see the coolant flowing from under the cap, I'd check the two plastic coolant fittings. One is located underneath the intake manifold on the driver's side of the engine block and the other is located on the back of the engine block below the head between the firewall(you'll need a small mirror and flashlight to see it).

Dammit, I said I wasn't going to repeat myself again

Last edited by cooljess76; 07-24-2010 at 05:18 PM.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote