View Single Post
Old 02-03-2006, 02:22 PM   #7
L84THSKY

My Oil Service light came on the other day. I did a check of when I last changed my oil, and it was only 21XX miles ago. When you look at the formula for when the car determines you are due for an oil change, it takes in to consideration RPM and engine temperature. Since it's cold on Long Island, and I often start and drive to work prior to a full warm up, I have been penalized severely. Does it seem possible that the car wants me to change my oil after only 21XX miles? I only use Mobile 1, and I usually change my oil around 5000 miles.

I have the rest tool and can easily just reset the lights, but I was curious. If I was really bored, I could start documenting exactly how many miles the oil service light comes on throughout the year. That way I could see how temperature really comes into play with the oil service light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996 328ti
What Causes the SII (service interval indicator) lights to come on? The SII lights are not "event" triggered. What that means is that they are not reporting a component failure or warning of imminent failure. Rather, the SII light computer "estimates" miles traveled. Once it estimates you have gone a certain number of miles it illuminates one of the SII lights (i.e. Oilservice- 7,500 estimated miles, or Inspection-15,000 estimated miles*). Mileage is estimated based on a formula:

Technical details of the service reminder lights:

Mileage is estimated based on the following formula:

e= a(1+t+r)

• e=Estimated mileage
  • a=Actual mileage traveled
  • t=1 if engine temperature is below operating temperature, else t=0
  • r=.5 if engine is above 4500 RPM, else r=0

Example:
If you traveled 5 miles with a cold engine running at 5000 RPM, the SII computer would actually "estimate" 12.5 miles traveled:

Solving for e:
  • a=5 (the actual miles traveled)
  • t=1 (because the engine was cold)
  • r=.5 (the engine was exceeding 4500 RPM)
e=5 X (1+1+.5)=12.5 estimated miles (from a trip of only 5 miles)

Once the computer reaches a certain count value (about 7,500 miles for Oilservice and 15,000 miles for inspection*), it will illuminate one of the service lights (oilservice or inspection) seen below.

The five green "countdown" lights are there to let you know approximately how long it will be before the next time your Oilservice or Inspection light will come on.

Explained:

• Say an Oilservice or Inspection is due in 3000 miles, and
  • There are three green lights remaining (they shut off within 15 seconds of starting your engine)
So; 3000 miles remaining divided by 3 green leds = 1000 miles per Green led.

The yellow light along with the word Oilservice/Inspection indicates service is now due. The red lights indicate service overdue by approximately 100 miles per light.

*Varies with year and model

Copyright © Peake Research Corp. 1989-2003. All Rights Reserved.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote