View Single Post
Old 07-11-2011, 06:13 AM   #4
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

In your last thread I explained how to do it without lowering the tranny to tilt the engine:
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showpost....54&postcount=5

There's only two bolts holding the starter on. Both of them are located at the top of the transmission bellhousing. If you know approximately where they are at (about 11 and 12 o'clock) you can use a super long extension, or a combination of smaller extensions equalling about 2ft long, and guide the inverse torx socket onto the bolt head from the back of the transmission by the flex disc.

Looking at your motor, you have an M42 which means your car came with the older style starter. The older style starters have non threaded mounting holes which means they require a nut on the engine side. Newer style starters(03/1996 and later) have threaded holes, which mean they only require a bolt. On the newer style starters, the bolt goes through the transmission bellhousing and threads directly into the starter, making the job much easier since you won't need someone to hold a socket on a nut from the engine side.

Good news is, the two styles are interchangeable. So when you get a replacement starter, get the newer style with threaded holes. Bad news is, I've never removed or taken apart the intake manifold on these motors, so I can't offer much help. I've only heard horror stories from people who have. The only advice I have to offer now that you've already started to remove it, is to either stop what you're doing and put it back together immediately while things are still fresh in your mind. Or... continue with the removal, label everything including each end of every hose, take lots of pictures to use as reference and pray to god everything goes back together and works with no missing or leftover parts.

I know there's other people on here who have more experience than me when dealing with the intake manifold, hopefully one of them can provide some insight.

Last edited by cooljess76; 07-11-2011 at 08:20 AM.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote