View Single Post
Old 07-11-2011, 09:03 PM   #5
mohaughn

I've had the fuel rail and intake mani off my car several times. It would have been better if you depressurized the system before you got this far, however, you can still depressurize the system down at the fuel filter and avoid spilling any fuel in the motor/underhood area.

Just put a fluid bucket down under the fuel filter, loosen up the front hose clamp on the fuel filter and then pull the fuel line back from the fuel filter. Make sure your eyes are protected, and use a rag around the fuel line just in case there is excessive pressure and you get some gas coming out in force. The pressure dissipates very quickly, and if you use a rag and bucket, you can collect any/all gas that spills out. I always make sure to have the rear of the car on the ground, the front lifted up as high as I can get it when disconnecting the fuel filter. This way, no fuel spills out that is sitting in the line between the pump and filter.

Once you have pressure off of the fuel system, reconnect the fuel filter, and you can disconnect the main vacuum line running into the "octopus" attached to the fuel rail, then you disconnect the fuel inlet line and return line, make sure you get high quality fuel line and replace these lines and get new BMW original fuel hose clamps to replace the clamps you took off.

Once you have the vacuum lines and fuel lines disconnected, the fuel rail is simply held in by pressure and snug o-rings. You have to gently lever out the entire fuel rail at the same time, the fuel injectors back straight out but can jam if you try to pull one side of the rail out before the other.

Even more of a pain is disconnecting the electrical "squid" that sits in the middle of the lower intake, it is a real pain to disconnect some of those connectors, and if you don't get everything labeled properly, and back in the right place, you will have issues.

Taking the intake apart is not some kind of magic science, it is however, involved, and you better take damn good notes and label everything.

Once the fuel rail is out, and the electrical squid all disconnected, the lower manifold comes out very easily. Everybody on here that has installed a DASC has done this removal, so lots of knowledge to be had on how to do it.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote