View Single Post
Old 05-31-2016, 01:03 AM   #33
Strawman

Default S52 in place

I spent a good part of the weekend working on my car. The first pic shows the stock steering rack and the replacement Z3 rack (the gold one), and another showing the car without a rack in place. The Z3 rack is much quicker than the "standard" E36 rack, which will help with turn-in when autocrossing.

Finally, I've provided a pic of the engine in place. I originally tried to get the engine/trans combo to go in as one, but finally gave up, separated the two, and then installed the engine first and then the transmission. This time around, I culled the auto trans-only related wires. I love my new 2-post lift, which really helped me during this conversion!

I just realized the steering pumps are different between the S52 and M52; I should have grabbed the steering pump setup from the M3 before it went to the Big Crusher in The Sky. I plan to chuck up some steel rod in my lathe and make some spacers to mate up the M52 steering pump to the S52 bracket. Then I'll button up the new S54 radiator-based cooling system and fire it up!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	rack comparison.jpg Views:	274 Size:	118.7 KB ID:	16359   Click image for larger version Name:	rack in place.jpg Views:	268 Size:	70.4 KB ID:	16360   Click image for larger version Name:	S52 in place.jpg Views:	287 Size:	50.4 KB ID:	16362  

Sleeper Calypsorot 1996 318ti tintop. CA-legal swapped S52 from '98 M3, and ZF transmission with lightened flywheel/clutch. Magnaflow 2-into-1 muffler. Six-cylinder Eibach springs in front and 318ti H&R Sport springs in rear. Koni Sport adjustable dampers all around. Racing Dynamics 28mm & 19mm swaybars. M3 front hubs/brakes, E34 rear calipers, braided SS brake lines, Hawk HP-S pads. DS-II wheels. Polyflex purple bushings throughout, and factory lower x-brace. Fan delete mod. Engine mount reinforcements welded-in. 3.25 LSD rear diff from E28 & E30 axles.
Strawman is offline   Reply With Quote