View Single Post
Old 06-19-2008, 07:54 AM   #4
clex2

As luck would have it, my starter went totally out recently. Had the car towed to Edge Motorworks in Dublin, where they replaced my starter and while they were at it, I gave them a new ICV and hoses to put in.

The new starter sounds great. No more loose bearing sound on start up. After several hot days, I can confirm that the new ICV has solved the idle surge problem. The rpm do dip a bit at idle when the radiator fan turns on, but it dips and stays steady. No more bouncing, almost stalling idle. The old ICV had been cleaned out, but with little improvement. Maybe it wasn't reacting fast enough to the change in load.

However, another prolem still exists, and I guess must not be related to the ICV. With the AC on, after gently accelerating and letting off the gas, if and when the off throotle rpm drops to about 1500 rpm, the idle bounces several hundered rpm up and down while the car is coasting. You can feel the slight surging from this rpm fluctuation. As the car slows, the rpm stabilizes and goes to a normal idle as you come to stop. If you get off throttle at a higher rpm and speed and the rpm drops to anything above 1500-2000 rpm, there is no rpm fluctation.

Possible culprits might be:
1) Ac compressor and/or associated electrical gear
2) Ac clutch?
3) Auto Tranny?

Anyone have any other ideas as to what this could be? I 'm glad I solved at least one of the idile issues.
'95 330ti CS w/sr delete, S50USB30, cams, 24# inj, Conforti SW, Euro HFM, Samco Silicone Intake Boot, BBTB, Euro Oil Cooler, JTD CAI Duct, RE DMS exhaust, RE Tranny mounts, CF Valve Cover, LTW flywheel/Kevlar sprung hub clutch, RE SSK, 3.46 Finned LSD (M6) , M3 tranny, Brembos, RE Wheel Studs, SS brake/clutch lines, CF interior, Rear Headrest retrofit, Tilt Steering retrofit, 13.5 lb DynaBatt in rear, LED interior/footwell lights, ZKW HID, Headlight Aim Control, Rear fog light w/cluster indicator, CF 3 Aux gauge pod, BMW Traffic Pro/Alpine MP3-CD Changer, Staggered LTW wheels, '95 M3 steering rack, VIS CF Hood, M3 LTW Strut Bar, TCK SA coilovers, Red LTW Motorsport Seatbelts, OEM Fire Extinguisher, Z8 Starter button, Auto dim rear view mirror w/ Homelink/Compass, PDC, Rear Sun Shade, Euro Gauge Cluster w/oil temp/shift light , Headlight Washers, "Motorsport" Door Handles, CF Grills, French ZKW Fogs, Euro dash bins, Power Lumbar Support is next, Coming e39 M5 interior light, Bimmer Magazine 8/2007
clex2 is offline   Reply With Quote