View Single Post
Old 08-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #28
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9G3Series View Post
Well! Here's my write up that might relate to this topic, I guess.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1679680
Removing the fan on an M42/M44 equipped car is not a good idea AT ALL. These engines are much more prone to overheating than M50, M52, S50 and S52 engines. 9G3Series, your car is a 318i. The 318i has both a "pusher" fan (mounted in front of the radiator) and a "puller" fan (mounted behind the radiator). The 318ti only has a "puller" fan which operates in two modes. Low speed intermittent cools the radiator when the coolant reaches a certain temperature and high speed constant when the A/C is turned on. Furthermore, the 318ti does not have the clutch driven fan mounted on the water pump pulley like other e36's do. So it's imperative that the puller fan remain installed and function properly as it's the only way to cool the engine when the car is sitting at idle or the a/c is turned on.

I'm sorry, but your writeup is not relevant to 99% of the members on this forum and may possibly mislead someone into removing a critical part of the car's cooling system. I'll finish by saying that the FDM was intended for cars equipped with a clutch driven fan. This is the fan that is attached to the waterpump on the front of the engine. Again, 318ti's don't have this fan. The reason people remove this fan is because the plastic blades are known to break off and cause MAJOR damage. I've seen cases where the blades have dented hoods, destroyed radiators, caused belts to pop off etc. In some cases, people didn't even know their fan was missing blades, meanwhile the fan was unbalanced and causing excessive wear on the water pump bearings. If you google "e36 exploding fan" you'll see what I'm refering to. The only reason anyone would consider doing this mod on a 318ti is if they've done an engine swap and have a 6cyl engine with a clutch driven fan. FWIW, I plan on keeping my clutch driven fan on my S52
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote