View Single Post
Old 10-08-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
bmwconnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTRD3 View Post
Hi Fellas, I'm not sure if anyone here will have an answer to this question, but the European section seems to see very little traffic so I thought putting it there might not yield any responses. I have a 323Ti and would like to flash the ecu in order to get a little more DD oomph from the car. Back home in Canada, I have a Dinan CF intake and short shift kit which I am sending over to myself here in Munich to install on the Ti. I have a friend who has a ECU from his 323i coupe in Canada that is flashed with Dinan stg. 3 software. I was planning to get it off him and install it in my car here while I am pretty positive it will work fine with a simple ECU alignment but I had read the following on the Turner Motorsport website which made me wonder if American tuning is useless on European cars (or if its purpose was to make 'restricted' American model BMWs more like the stock European models?)

"Software makes changes to the stock BMW software in the areas of fuel enrichment, transition fueling, camshaft timing, ignition timing, and VANOS control to take full advantage of 91+ octane fuel. BMW ‘de-tuned’ cars for the North American market in the event inferior fuel was used. Software reverses those changes to gain more horsepower and torque."

So I am wondering if the Dinan software (or Shark, or any brand) is used in order to make our cars more like their "non-restricted" European counterparts? Which if so, I am already I guess a step ahead of the game and ECU flash/tuning, or atleast from a American tuner, might not be worth it for me?

I'm also wondering if it is worth it to use the Dinan ECU I can get, or whether it is better to search for the popular tuning options out here locally (in Germany) seeing as they may tune differently because the car is a European specific model?

I know a lot of the board is from America so getting a clear answer might be difficult. That being said, any insight is appreciated. T.I.A.

I have not seen a calibration file from a 323TI euro but generally the Euro car's have a more aggressive mapping structure over Canada/US models

What people don't realize is that the DME used is a MS41 but inside can be many versions of software for different delivery country's and fuel grades

The Dinan code will probably work fine after alignment but if you get knocking you should change out the injectors and or slightly increase fuel pressure to deliver a better mixture

best of luck!

Last edited by bmwconnect; 10-08-2011 at 03:21 PM.
bmwconnect is offline   Reply With Quote