View Single Post
Old 03-13-2007, 03:33 PM   #8
mohaughn

I do a lot of technical interviews for my work. The advice from zboot is dead on.

The other thing that I would add is don't lie. If they ask you a question and you don't know the answer, or you kind of know the answer but are not completely sure your answer is correct make sure that they know that. If they ask you a question and you answer with a completely wrong answer but act like it is the right answer that is a major no-no in my book. When I'm interviewing I don't expect the person I'm interviewing to be able to answer every single question I ask them. It is all about how they answer the questions they don't know.

I'd rather get a, "Well, I think it is this, but I'm not completely sure. So what I would do is use this resource or that resource to make sure that what I think it is is correct, and then I would do this..." Make sense? I think that is right in line with what zboot has said about the way that you think. Make sure that they understand that you have critical thinking skills, and that you have the capabilities and skills to figure things out on your own even if you don't know the right answer off the top of your head.

Confidence is also key, be friendly, shake hands, etc... I also always make sure to ask at the end of the interview if they have any additional questions or concerns about my experience or education that I could clear up before the end of the interview. You would be suprised at how honest interviewers will be with their impressions of you if you ask them.

If you are the kind of person that will get nervous make sure to avoid caffeine or any other type of energy drinks that could make you more nervous.

Also make sure to send a thank you note the next day.

Good luck!
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote