View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 02:39 AM   #2
hotmilk400

first step is to figure out if you have an AMP in the rear left panel in your trunk. some cars used a seperate amp to power the speakers, and some of the basic packages did not use it. an easy way to tell is it seems most 98's have the amp.

after that is out of the way, it really doesnt matter if you want to rewire or not. their is no reason to rewire if the wires are okay. if you have the amp, it adds time to the install, but its as easy as cutting a few wires, and splicing them in after the amp.

other then that, you basicly pull the old radio, put in the new, and replace the speakers.

also, if you have the primium package (10 speaker system, vs the 4 or 6 speaker), you need to watch ohms alittle more careful. you have to make sure that you keep the ohms between 4 - 6 ohms at all times on each channel. on Non-10 speaker systems, its easy, on 10 speaker systems, if you replace the speakers and tweeters, it becomes harder (easier if you use an after market amp, which allows 2 - 8 ohms)

also, if u wanted to go the path of rewiring everything, its really not hard at all. its a pain, since u have to remove the trim and run 16awg wire. trim removal is easy, just don't break clips.

if you have questions, just post them here. i installed like 15+ systems (mostly amps+subs) and did plenty of work to my own car to know it inside and out. just give me the year/make and amount of speakers it has (include all speakers, tweeters)

Green Your Decor with the Aspect! Shop for the Grow Light Used by Interior Designers, Growers & People Like You!
hotmilk400 is offline   Reply With Quote