View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 12:48 AM   #15
Platanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustenT View Post

What about ball joints?
The OEM ball joints are soft and don't last long on lowered cars. The Meyle solid metal ball joints are much better. They can be purchased seperately or pre-pressed into the control arms. The pre-pressed solution is an easier install.

What about control arms?
- See above for the Meyle control arm/ball joint combo.
- e30 m3 aluminum control arms work too, but recommended replacement is every 2 years or X track days.

I know Dusten is no longer with us but I'm sure you other guys can clue me in...

I have a set of 1999 M3 control arms. The outer ball joint threads (the one that goes to the king pin) are fubar'd. I don't think they can be saved plus I'd like to upgrade to solid (I guess meyle unless there is better).

My question is can the ball joint be replaced as I'm not sure if the 1996+ CA allows this or is it the before 1996 CA's?

If I can't replace them, then I'll get new CA's. Anyone have a link to a good buy on CA's with solid ball joints already pressed in? I'm only finding sets that are $200+ each.....

Taken from a PelicanParts tech article;

"Because the inner ball joint is integrated into the control arm, you must purchase a new control arm if you wish to replace the ball joint. On non-M3 E36 cars, the outer ball joint is replaceable."

So do I assume the e36 M3 outer ball joint is not replaceable?

Last edited by Platanos; 05-19-2011 at 01:36 AM.
Platanos is offline   Reply With Quote