View Single Post
Old 06-24-2019, 08:43 PM   #9
paul somlo

Given the information, I'd say there's nothing wrong with the starter. And while some ground straps may be missing, sounds like you've ruled that out. Regarding the alternator - for $25, I'm going to say that they tested it, found nothing wrong, and sent it back to you. A rebuild shop couldn't touch the alternator for that money, and even if they did replace the brush/regulator pack, the part cost alone may be close to $25. It's looking more like something in the B+ circuit - I would start probing with a DVM at the starter, and work back towards the battery. And yes, I know - that's not going to be easy; you'll either need to access from below, or pull the upper and lower intake manifolds. You might be able to attach some pigtails to the starter terminals for access. Or access the main feed to the starter at the alternator?

Also, do make sure you've got around 12.6V at the battery (no load). I know you said the battery was a year old, but sometimes, if there's a fault somewhere, you can go through endless cycles of replace the battery, replace the alternator, etc.. And a really bad battery can defeat a jump, as well.
paul somlo is offline   Reply With Quote