View Single Post
Old 10-22-2005, 12:37 AM   #12
cali-ti
aka Stabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx
Know what WD40 stands for and you'll know what it's not good for. PB Blaster is also my personal pick, but some people swear by Kroil and others.
true! WaterDisplacement ... doesn't help too much when this are already rusted straight to hell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx
Here is a set of bolt removers. The Irwins are usually available at any Lowe's/HD. Sears also carries their house brand, but I'm not a fan of Craftsman stuff.

I'm thinking it might actually be easier to snap the heads off the bolts, and just use new ones since you probably don't want to use the old rusted ones anyway. Just crank the heck out of 'em and they'll probably go.
lol ... yeah, i definitely don't plan to reuse the bolts/screws! you'll really find it amusing once i get back home and post a pic of what they currently look like i'm wondering if my current air wrench would even fit in the limited space. if so, i wonder if it would be worth getting a small air compressor (i wanted to avoid it until we had a house so i could get a stand-up air compressor for the garage). looks like i'll have even more tools here before too long, lol.

i'll keep my eye out for a deal on those irwins or something equivalent. the flywheel/clutch combo is probably at least a year away. i'm not sure i want to do a pre-emptive strike on those bolts to get 'em prepped ... although it would make access to the shifter easier for installing the short shift kit i'm planning to get. then i'll use lubro-moly copper anti-seize on the bolts and nuts when i re-assemble to (hopefully) keep it from going down the same rusty path. are there any hardened steel bolts/nuts or anything that would resist the effects of high temps, road salt, etc to not rust?

thanks everybody for the suggestions!
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote