View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 07:16 PM   #1
wodcutr

Default 96 m44 into a 98 issues

I am having some issues with this project I am working on. I bought a 96 318ti parts car thinking the m44 motor I needed would be a direct swap for my 98 ti which I bought without a motor. Little did I know that although the motors are the same there are slight differences in the harnesses and smog components in the 98.

I am having a few issues in dealing with the smog components as I do not have them and would like to be able to run the car without them as I live in an area that does not need to pass emissions, only safety. I am trying to install the engine using the 98 harness as the DME and EWS system will not allow the car to start otherwise.

I have read about using a home made air pump simulator which will eliminate most of my problems, but I still have other questions that deal with the other abandoned parts and corresponding vacuum lines. Could someone here help me deal with these issues so I can get the car running properly the first time I start it up. I would really appreciate it and thank you in advance.

So much for a simple engine transplant!
wodcutr is offline   Reply With Quote