View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 09:53 PM   #9
osu_ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiponator View Post
Thanks for the information!

I hadn't realized STX was an option, I'd be curious to hear about everything you have done with your car in that class.
ST (formerly STS) and STX are both options for the 318ti in the street touring classes. STS (formerly STS2) is for 2 seater cars.

I run STX instead of ST due having a limited slip from a club sport. That bumps me out of ST. I'm only running 205mm tires at the moment (205/45/16 re-01's), but I've been able to be competitive locally in STX despite the narrow tires. I'd like to run 245 or 255mm tires all the way around, but that's not in the cards for this season.

I have the ground control coil over kit with koni yellow shocks and 375f/475r spring rates. I'm using the eibach sway bars with the rear set to full soft and the front set to the softer of the two settings (due to endlink bind in the front). If you want more info about my setup, (alignment and such) feel free to send me a pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiponator View Post
My thinking was either G-Stock, or FSP...looking at the rules more closely I guess STS and STX would be other options too.
FSP is not a bad choice but similar to GS, I don't think a 318ti can be competitive on a national level. The EG civic with an si engine will have nearly as much power (perhaps more?) as a ti, but it weighs significantly less. Again, it would be a good class locally.

I like the ST* classes for a few different reasons -
1. The best tires for the class are affordable and last much longer than R-compound tires. You can also drive to the events on these tires (unlike r-comps).
2. Typically there are more cars in these classes, giving more competition to run against, even if you aren't the fastest car in the class
3. Class permits fun, relatively cheap modifications to improve handling and car balance. Setups can be adjusted to suit driving style. Cars can be competitive without being un-streetable.

If your local region as a "Road Tire" indexed class, where you can run any non-ST* class you like, but compete on PAX index using the Street Touring tire rules, I would probably prefer to run in that class on the FSP index. That might be a better fit than running against 89 civic si's in ST or RX8's, 325/8's, and WRX's in STX.

It would be really cool if there was a class where the 318ti could defintely be competitive, but unfortunately, I don't think there is. Perhaps SM, but that class is very expensive to prep to the limits of the rules.

Happy auto-xing!