View Single Post
Old 05-08-2017, 12:08 PM   #1
KytorIndustries

Default I bought a $500 318Ti, I apologize for what happens next

Yesterday I purchased a 1995 BMW 318Ti for $500. 5-Speed; 230k+ mi; some muffler and power steering issues.

But first a little bit of background. A few years ago the fine folks on the west coast started a small event called the Gambler 500. It's a two-day roughly 500 mile mostly off-road navigational challenge. This spring was the first ever NY event, and there is a follow up this fall called the Harvest Run.

People show up in very impractical vehicles, from ice cream trucks to minivans. Others of the more sensible type may use lifted 4WD vehicles with big knobby tires.

I've decided the BMW 318Ti is the perfect vehicle for this event. Light weight. Rear-wheel drive. Manual transmission. 22 year old rock-solid reliable German electronics. What's the worst that can happen?

So this is the part where I apologize to all of the 318Ti enthusiasts. "You found one for $500 with a rust-free frame that runs and drives? Fix it up and daily it!" Sorry, but this is going to get a few upgrades:

- Suspension lift
- Larger off-road tires
- Air box snorkel
- Stinger tube bumper and winch
- CB and Ham antennas
- Many others

I have a lot of other projects going on so this one is going to go idle for a few months. But I'm sure I'll stop back in downstream to get yelled at for what I'm doing to this poor car.

It is is my mission to make certain this fantastic car doesn't go out on a whimper.
KytorIndustries is offline   Reply With Quote