View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 11:25 AM   #8
e36 323ti

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by budget76 View Post
Just got a chance to read, it's nice to see numbers behind the argument instead of just the idea. I realize how much more my M3 fronts do than the stock rears the most when I'm in the rain/snow/ice. Really have to watch how hard I brake, I can easily lock up the fronts. This is with no ABS, car has none.

Dunno if you have the figures, but if you do and could throw em into a calculator I'd love to see the results of the E36 M3 fronts, stock rears with street pads.
By using the e36 m3 (315mm discs, 60mm piston caliper), stock rear and stock 323ti/318ti master cylinder, the numbers are as shown in Table 3 and 4 below.

Table 3:Brake analysis of the brake systems described above. Stopping distance @100-0km/h.

Table 4:Brake analysis of the brake systems described above. Stopping distance @140-0km/h.

As is seen from the tables above the numbers with m3 up front and stock rear (Case 3) does not look good (my opinion). If it had been my 'ti with m3 brake config. up front, I would have tested a rear caliper with 38mm piston (e34 m5 3.6 or similar) (Case 4). I would also have looked for the possibility to use 40mm piston, since it gives the results closest to stock bias (Case 5).

Quote:
Originally Posted by budget76 View Post
I take it you're an engineer of some sort? Mechanical I'm guessing.
Cybernetics...

Disclaimer: Note that the equations and relationships used in this work represent approximations of the real braking system. The results are based on my current level of knowledge and may change without further notice.

Last edited by e36 323ti; 03-02-2011 at 11:28 AM.
e36 323ti is offline   Reply With Quote