View Single Post
Old 02-23-2004, 02:22 AM   #10
writeb

Well, finally did the short shift mod. To quote my friend "It was hella easy!"

In fact, much against the grain of common sense, I did the mod solo. If you had the tools set out and all neccessary materials, I'd say the mod total took about 45-50 minutes, (fretting over ramp approach and stalling for the courage to slip under the car included).

It doesn't really hit you how dangerous this is until you are about to slip underneath the car. Really scary. Personally, I used ramps, with jack stands, chocked the wheels and also had the jack snugly fitted against the right support for good measure. After shaking the car a bit to make sure it was stable did I focus on getting underneath the car.

Darned JC Whitney cancelled my creeper order, so I had to do the scootch shuffle underneath the car. It was difficult to get your hand over the drive shaft to get to the circlip.

NOTE: You do NOT have to fool around with the "bitch clip". I repeat, you do not have to remove the "bitch clip" to add the 1.9 lever.

You just release the circlip, take the washer off, push the linkage bar out of the bottom of the shifter, grab the washer off the other side of the linkage bar, get from under the car. The shifter is now flopping around and unconnected. inside the car I took two screw drivers, held them crossed for leverage and turned the nylon cup clockwise. It turned easily!! I didn't believe that was it until I just pulled the bad boy right up and out! I used WHITE LITHIUM GREASE inside of the new Nylon cup, threw a little on the shifter ball and popped it into the cup. Squeezed a little bit of grease into the hole that the linkage will go through as well. Dropped the lever + cup back into the assembly, and used screwdrivers to turn the cup CCW to lock it. Pulled up on it to make sure it was locked. Back underneath the car, preliminarily connected linkage without clips or washers, to try the shifting action. (this was actually the most challenging part. that damn drive shaft is inconvenient!!!). Back into car, tested shifting... butter!

Grabbed new circlip and washers, popped out linkage, put washer on (rounded sides towards outside of car) connected linkage, washer on other side, and put circlip on. (Putting circlip on and off can possibly be the hardest task depending on your own circumstance).

rubber shift boot back on, sound dampener, New leather shift boot.. (wha``you didn't get one??) and shifter knob. I put away all tools, and stored away old shift lever and circlip and washers, cleaned up, lowered from jacks and backed off of ramps. And bobs ya uncle.

Quick drive around the neighborhood invoked the maniacal grin from me, so I look forward to "snick snicking" my way through the gear box on the 101 tonight. The throw is a bit shorter, that combined with a shorter shift knob definitely makes a noticable difference. The throw seems most noticably shorter with the upper level gears (R,1,3,5).

I drive a 1998 ti, and I didn't have to bend the bar or anything like that. This isn't meant to be a how to, although it seems like it turned into that. Do this mod at your own risk, for for goodness sakes, use 2 backups if you are going to crawl underneath your car!!!

This easy mod was great! and zero's out my failure to permanently fix my window with regulator arm woes. Looking forward to "fogging" the airbox next week!

Writeb
-------------------
1998 318ti Artic Silver
Z3 1.9 16' wheels & Short Shifter w leather shift boot, Euro Ellipsoids w/ Angel Eyes, ///M side panels, Euro clear all around, M3 power heated mirrors, Doubled Brake Lights, Arm Rest, Chrome button surrounds, & Accents.
---------
Coming soon: Fogged Airbox, New Rotor and Pad install Front & Rear, Aluminum pedal kit, Express close sunroof, fog light install.
writeb is offline   Reply With Quote