View Single Post
Old 11-19-2015, 10:40 PM   #14
Nix328ti

I figure since we are just brainstorming here, I'll continue to pollute your thread a bit. (sorry in advance) How about a remote turbo (like rear-mounted)?

One of the things I like about the Z3 swap was the lighter weight block for the front. Helps simplify distribution when reducing weight too. We're already challenged on this front anyway:

51.4/48.6 (manual)
51.9/48.1 (automatic)

Not bad! but that's with the M44 (102kg/225lbs. depending on who you ask…lol)

It can get pretty tricky when the only places you've got to reduce weight are behind the front wheels. Starts eating into aspirations for 50/50 pretty quick. At least, with the aluminum m52b28 (z3 only for us US, so sad; at 118kg/260lbs. again based on bimmerforum) leaving you with a bit less to deal with up front (≈16kb/35lbs.); Although it's fair to also say that the m44 is neatly placed back where it should be and we've got to hang a bit more out over the front with the M5x's engines;

Practically speaking, that 35lbs. may actually be more like 50lbs. or something; Probably adding yaw too; BUT since we're just writing words and not cutting anything right now, 35lbs. sure sounds manageable! and a lot more fun if you're fantasizing. LOL.

SO add that with a turbo that's spread out a bit (weight-wise) and it would help keep the weight distributed... Don't get me wrong, remote turbo setup is not uncomplicated with needing to plump back-forth and resolve the oiling thing, either with a oilless turbo $$$$$$, or some sort of remote oiling system. I only bring it up because weight reduction on our ti cars get's our numbers so far down! It's sorta fun working on getting an e36 down around 2500lbs.(1134 kg). So cool. Might be fun… just thinking (writing) out-loud.

Nothing quite like snail juice. mmmmmm. Having just come off a turbo project though, I'm eager to work on the NA stuff for a while myself but I figured it couldn't hurt to toss out some ideas... Thanks for being patient with me, tiEM. If I don't write this stuff down to get it out of my system, I'll be off on some new damn project.

-Nic 328ti (z3 swap)

Last edited by Nix328ti; 11-19-2015 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Can't spell
Nix328ti is offline   Reply With Quote