View Single Post
Old 07-01-2018, 05:06 PM   #1
Projectvoltron

Default M52 Swap Questions

Whats up everyone. I am new to he BMW scene and I am excited to do something with my newly acquired 318ti. I have done some motor swaps in all kinds of other cars including my current Audi.

I got my 97 318ti 5 speed M sport package for $100 and all it needed was a battery and started up. The radiator was leaking so I bought a new one and It has been a champ ever since. The car Is clean as far as body damage is concerned. It doesn't have clear coat on the hood or roof is the main thing wrong. Also the front seat are in poor shape. Everything else works and is in clean shape.

I have an opportunity to get a 328i auto with a bad transmission for a decent deal. I am thinking this will be a good doner car for a 318ti transplant. The car starts up and runs just fine.

I do have a few questions that I have not yet been able to figure out.

Will there be any issues using the Auto engine in my manual ti? I have read some conflicting things on this subject so I would like to get a straight answer.

I will obviously need to swap the dme, ews, and key ring/key chip. Is that all plug and play?

Last question, for now, is will the stock TI transmission bolt up to the m52 and the stock driveshaft should compress enough to fit with the diff. Is this correct? I have read that this setup will last for a while until I can get a different drivetrain setup. I will get a clutch that can withstand the power difference also,

Thanks for looking and thank you for all the help!
Projectvoltron is offline   Reply With Quote