View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 04:53 AM   #1
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles
Post Differential parts compatibility - DISCUSSION

It just occurred to me that one of the common questions here is "I want to swap to X differential, will it work with Y half-shafts, and Z drive shaft, etc.?"

Since I'm probably going to have some free time next week, I'd like to try to compile a table of the existing "known to work" combinations of swapped differentials etc. on the cars here. and put it in the knowledge base somewhere.

So, the first task is to come up with a list of what data needs to be gathered. How about the following...
  1. What type of transmission? (auto/manual, Getrag, ZF, etc.)
  2. Drive shaft came from what year & model car?
  3. Diff. ratio
  4. Diff. case size
  5. Diff. was taken from what year & model car?
  6. What type of diff. cover?
  7. Diff. cover was taken from what year & model car?
  8. Output flanges were from what year & model car?
  9. Half-shafts were taken from what year & model car?
  10. What modifications did you have to do?
  11. Have you had any issues with this combination?
  12. Misc. Notes

Are any of the above unnecessary?
What else needs to be added to the above list?

AFTER we get a list of all the questions that need to be asked, I'll start gathering data and put it into a table of some sort. So, hold on to your data for now.

Once I see the data, I'll have a better idea what format would work best. At the moment, I'd like to be able to create an Acrobat file (PDF) so that it can be printed out easily. But, I might also have it in a generic HTML table and/or a spreadsheet. Any thoughts on that?

JMJ

====================

This is the "listings" thread in the Knowledge Base.

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."

Last edited by roadrash; 12-22-2009 at 07:28 PM.
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote