Thread: idler squeak
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 06:05 AM   #8
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetarspaz View Post
May be the alternator one. Sounds like its from that area. I'll check it out tomorrow when it's daylight and cold engine. Thanks a lot!
You're not getting what I'm trying to explain. I could be totally wrong on this, but I believe that the spring loaded mechanism that the idler pulley is mounted to, has some sort of chirping device built into it. If there's any sort of resistance in the belt drive, it causes the spring loaded mechanism to compress slightly and it makes a chirp. Even if all of the pulleys in the belt drive are completely silent, if there's any resistance or slop, it will cause the idler pulley to move slightly. The noise doesn't necessarily have to be coming from the suspect bearing. If my suspicion is correct, it's the idler pulley chirping because it's supposed to to let you know that something is faulty in the belt drive.

I have no proof or way of knowing if what I'm saying is correct. I've never read it anywhere in any manual or discussion. I'm just going by what I experienced when I had an M44 in my car. I could be way off in my theories, but it's worth checking out even if I'm wrong.

Last edited by cooljess76; 12-28-2011 at 06:08 AM.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote