Thread: m42 vs m44
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2010, 06:19 PM   #13
pnosker

I believe E36 M42s have DISA, according to http://www.europeancarweb.com/tech/t...rs/index.html:

The first M42 generation encompassed the E30 318i, 318is, and 318i convertible. It used three V-belts to drive the alternator, water pump, power steering pump, and air conditioning compressor. The intake manifold incorporated traditional runners, as the ingenious DISA system was still on the drawing board. The E30 M42 timing chain tensioner, tensioning rail, and side guide rail were all improved in the M44, and the new style parts supercede when you order them. There's a good reason for this, too--these parts do wear on high-mileage E30 M42 engines, and can result in timing chain-related engine failures. This is particularly true in engines that have seen severe service.

The second generation M42 was the DISA-equipped, combo V-belt/poly-ribbed belt unit appearing in the E36 318i in 1992. If you want to REALLY split hairs, you can say there is a third generation M42--the one from 01/94-on that uses a single poly-ribbed belt.
pnosker is offline   Reply With Quote