View Single Post
Old 11-08-2014, 01:04 PM   #1
bmwme

Default 1997 318ti - Perfect DD or Race Car Build

Sold

So I hate to do it but I am putting the TI up for sale. 1997 318ti with M-tech body kit. 5-speed manual, 145,xxx miles.

I bought this a few months ago to drive to Florida and back (from MA) for a fun guys week. The Ti had been sitting for two years because the PO didn't know how to fix her. Well I spent a good two months sorting this car. What the next owner will get is a treat. There are many new parts less than 3,000 miles old. Here's a list of what I've done. There is over $1,000 worth of parts here not counting labor.

Replaced Plastic Coolant Fittings with genuine BMW parts. This is a HUGE job and I don't recommend buying a Ti without this done recently.
Replaced All Coolant Hoses under Intake Manifold with OE hoses
Bilstein Sport Front Struts and Rear Shocks with less than 10,000 miles. Still have stock springs but a set of H&R Race would be awesome for this car.
Replaced Stock Motor Mounts
New BMW Shift Knob
Replaced Muffler
Cleaned up rotors and pads, seem almost new
Replaced passenger tie rod
Replaced Fuel Injector Vacuum Hoses
Replaced Cam Position Sensor
Replaced several sections of iffy looking hard brake line
Replaced Front Rubber Brake Lines
Replaced coolant overflow bottle upper and lower O-rings due to leaks.
Victor Reinz Valve Cover Gasket VS50531
Replaced Lower Fuel Injector O-rings
Replaced O2 sensor with new Bosch Sensor
Replaced All Window Clips and Cleaned & Greased Window Tracks
Dunlop DZ102 Tires 205/50/15 Tires, Great DD tires that can also race on the weekends
Replaced Crank Sensor
Replaced alternator with Bosch OE
Replaced gasket and rubber O-rings on oil filter housing

The body is in great shape for its age. There are a couple very small rust bubbles in the typical Ti areas, but no rot. Appears that an M-tech body kit was installed, but paint match is great. Rear spoiler has clear coat flaking. Underside is quite clean. Interior is in good shape, recently replaced leather seats (pleather?). Carpet and interior panels are clean except for the front A-pillar trim which I removed because of a botched repair from the PO. Rear hatch shocks are tired and don't work great on cold days. Working stock head unit and CD-changer, although the display is messed up. Working Sunroof.

If I had the time and driveway space I would build this car to be an autocross monster. I have several other projects however.

Needs are dependent on the desires of the next owner. Like I said, I would install H&R race springs and aftermarket sway bars and use this for a DD / autocross toy. Right now though it is also a great and comfortable DD only car. Car has the typical traction control and ABS lights. I've read several DIY threads on how to fix them so I'll try to get around to this before she sells.

Not looking to take low ball offers but please let me know if I'm asking too much. $3,500 obo

Can be seen nights and weekends in Peabody, Ma.

Jeff

Nice and light, could use a corner balance though

And as she sits today

Last edited by bmwme; 12-09-2014 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Sold
bmwme is offline   Reply With Quote